YOU CAN CHANGE HEARTS AND MINDS ABOUT LGBT PEOPLE
You probably know from your own experience as an LGBT or Ally person that knowing and caring about an LGBT person is usually how straight people become allies.
Making new allies is what we do at Empowering Spirits Foundation.
ESF’s non-confrontational community service projects give LGBT and Ally people the chance to share your gifts, have fun, and make friends with straight people who do not yet support LGBT equality. We aren’t trying to win the argument; we are seeking reconciliation and deep community.
When you work alongside your non-ally neighbors for the good of your local community while openly and honestly sharing your experience as an LGBT or Ally person, you dispel negative stereotypes. Once straight people see that LGBT individuals are not very different from themselves, the old, unfounded and inaccurate stereotypes they held are shattered.
Suddenly they have to picture your smiling face when it comes time for them to vote or stand up in their church or school or city council meeting. Suddenly LGBT civil rights aren’t something they can pass judgment on from a distance; LGBT inequality has become about the suffering of someone they know.
By volunteering with ESF, you help LGBT people WIN and KEEP equal rights.
ESF volunteers have worked on neighborhood revitalization, housing builds, canned food drives, and environmental cleanup; all worthwhile causes which create not only an additional positive impact on the greater community, but allow for both sides to work together in a positive environment.
You can be creative in offering your service to the community, by creating events around your passions.
- Are you a dancer? Organize a free salsa class!
- Love to sew? Organize a group to sew new curtains for a rundown building!
- Got a green thumb? Maybe planting a community garden is the right project for you!
- Poetry is your thing? How could you involve a whole community in writing a poem?
- Paint a mural, teach a group how to cook your specialty, collect jokes, style shut-ins’ hair, mow elders’ lawns, fill potholes, coach a sports team, or play a concert… In other words, make it fun for you and easy for everyone to be included!
ESF encourages you to focus on the “hot spots” identified by the LGBT community, since that is where we know this work is most needed.
Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke often about establishing the “Beloved Community,” in which racism, homophobia and all forms of discrimination, bigotry and prejudice will be replaced by an all-inclusive spirit of sisterhood and brotherhood:
“It is this type of spirit and this type of love that can transform opponents into friends. It is this type of understanding goodwill that will transform the deep gloom of the old age into the exuberant gladness of the new age. It is this love which will bring about miracles in the hearts of [humankind].”
If that’s the world you want to live in, join Empowering Spirits Foundation in doing the work to make it your reality.
Empowering Spirits Foundation, Inc., is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. ESF's Federal Tax ID is 27-0525534. To view a copy of our IRS determination letter click here.
You can Help LGBT People Win and Keep Equal Rights
- Donate to help ESF organize LGBT and Ally volunteers wherever there is a need.
- Volunteer to take action on behalf of the LGBT community through our service events, education, advocacy and fundraising initiatives.
- Request your legislators address issues affecting LGBT rights.
- Sign up for ESF's eAlerts to stay on top of the issues affecting the LGBT community.
- Join our online community to help spread ESF's message.